The Literary Encyclopedia is an internationally edited reference database of classical and modern literature, written by specialists worldwide. It offers very good coverage of English, American, German and Russian literatures as well as substantial and increasing coverage of other regions.
It includes the following:.
- People - data on over 7,004 people (2,939 with full profiles), mainly writers, but also philosophers, scientists, artists, historical figures, etc (list of completed profiles)
- Works - over 31,274 works (3,369 completed), mainly literary, but also philosophical and scientific, indexed by date, genre and country ( list of completed works)
- Timelines - can be generated for any set of criteria such as authors, works, historical events (how to create and display Timelines video)
- Individual chronologies - for selected writers (how to use Author Chronologies video)
- lists of Secondary reading, Internet links to thousands of quality resources; Reference and thematic groups which provide wiki-style clusters useful for specific courses (Related articles and reference groups)
- Bookshelves - for saved articles, author chronologies and reference groups (how to use Bookshelves video)