“Erudite, engaging, and suffused throughout with a mixture of brilliance and delirium...staggering, brilliant, opinionated...” — Washington Post
- read and search the full text with notes, bibliographies and further readings for all 69 chapters
- browse across centuries of musical invention and European intellectual history, from the invention of musical notation to the late 20th Century
- connect to relevant entries in Grove Music Online
- link to further reading lists with which link to more information
- personalise by saving searches and sharing the results via social networking sites
- export to ProCite, Endnote, Reference Manage, RefWorks and Zotero
"... Laced with brilliant observations, memorable musical analyses, and a panoramic sense of the interaction between history, culture, politics, art, literature, religion, and music"